Frequently Asked Questions
Will SportsChallenge help me get into college?
SCLA speaks to a number of particular interests of colleges: You applied and were selected to be part of an elite, national summer program.
- You took research-based classes on leadership development that will make you a more valuable member of college campus life.
- You courageously spent significant time with others from all different backgrounds and all part of the country, which parallels the college experience.
- Many write their college essays on their SC experience and college counselors from around the country have reported that these essays have really helped their candidacy.
- College interviews are an opportunity for you to show yourself beyond your grades and test scores.
Who are your coaches?
SportsChallenge boasts an unparalleled coach/teacher for every 4 student-athletes. Our coaches includes 100% current and former collegiate athletes, captains, and coaches from around the world. Many have continued to play beyond college at a professional level in both the United States and abroad. Also on staff are resident sport psychology consultants as well as specialists in college admissions, leadership and speed and agility.
Will there be college scouts?
Some have deemed SportsChallenge an “anti-exposure” camp. Although we have college coaches on our staff, we consciously do not invite college scouts to campus. 100% of our focus is to push you to improve upon your weaknesses both as an athlete and as a leader. We have found that if our athletes are concerned about impressing coaches, they only try to do what they are already proficient at; they don’t try new moves and don’t spend energy working on areas of weakness. If you are looking for a camp where the ball is just rolled out for full court/field games, this is not the program for you.
What is the level of competition?
All student-athletes applying/accepted into the program must be a varsity-level athlete. Thus, our program consciously includes a variety of talent levels, from the scholarship athlete to the first year varsity player. Especially talented players appreciate our program because of the rare level of individual attention; there are only 28 athletes in each program and each student-athlete is assigned a specific coach to mentor them throughout the 9 days. Additionally, the sports psychology and leadership classes are particularly helpful for the most serious athlete. Finally, our staff and college counselors provide valuable insight into recruiting strategies and overall college process.
- About Us
- Summer Leadership Academy
- National Coaches Leadership Institute
- Leadership Workshops
- Support Us